Sunday, December 18, 2011

La'au Lapa'au Tea Towels


Whoopie! The Tea Towels are done and in Kai Boutique for Christmas! 
So here's one of the missions i've been on for the last month or so. I really have worked hard at bringing the healing concepts back into our homes, and this is one of my first approaches. To start off the series of my La'au Lapa'au tea towel designs, I have featured two that are not only my favorite, but also widely used in traditional medicine. 




"Olena" - is widely known for it's anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. Also traditionally used in dying Kapa.


"Noni" - is a very important plant to the Hawaiian people. Traditional uses of the noni plant are varied and virtually every part of the plant is used as some form of medicine.





"E Ala E" - is the name of a Hawaiian Oli which is chanted early in the morning "to aid the sun in it's efforts to start a new day."




I hope you enjoy the new inspiration for your home as much as my family and friends do. My aloha is printed in each and every one of these hand screened tea towels. My Kumu 'Olelo once told me, that the beauty of our cultural lineage is that it is 'consistently inconsistent'. Which is based on a cultural belief that, "History, as anything else, is seen and understood by where a person stands on the mountain." - Tales from the Night Rainbow. So within my design, as well as the towels that have been taken from once used flour sacks, they all have their own unique character and charm, not free from humanly "imperfections".    Aloha, k

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!! I want all of them! I am so very thrilled for you...merging your vast understanding of the culture with your authentic passion and co-creating magnificence!

    With Deep Aloha,

    Susan Alden

    ReplyDelete